A cookie file is - according to Wikipedia - a small piece of data sent from a website and stored in a user's web browser while a user browses a website. When the user browses the same website in the future, the data stored in the cookie can be retrieved by the website to inform the website of the previous activity of the user. More information on this subject is available on the Internet, in Wikipedia for example.
Storage objectives and access to cookies :
- Customizing the website (for example: backing up the font size, version of the website or version of the contested model)
- Recording of data or user decisions (for example : no need to enter the login and password on each website, remember to log in on the next visit, keep product information added to cart)
- Integration of social websites (for example, posting your friends, fans or posting on Facebook or Google+ directly from the website)
- Adjusting the ads displayed on the website
- Creating web site statistics and flow statistics between different websites
Below are links to sources on how to set storage conditions and access cookies already stored in the user's device for the most popular Internet browsers.
Due to a large number of technological solutions it is not possible to issue clear guidelines on how to set storage conditions and access cookies by using the settings of all available devices and installed software on them. However, in most cases, select "Tools" or "Settings" and find the section that corresponds to the configuration settings for cookies or for privacy management. Detailed information is usually provided by the device manufacturer or the browser in a manual or on their website.